It's hard to believe that it's been almost a month since I last blogged... I'm not even sure who still reads this since I'm pretty sure everyone (including Mom) is now on Facebook. I guess if you're reading this you should post a comment so I know that I'm not writing just to myself.
Anyway, it's been an eventful month to say the least. Shortly after I blogged the last time I was formally diagnosed with MS. Needless to say my life has been turned somewhat upside down. The disease affects everyone differently so there's nothing to read that will give me a good idea of how it will progress and what symptoms may affect me. What I do know is that I have one lesion on my spine (which is causing the numbness in the left leg), but what is more scary are the "cloudy areas" in my brain - many of them and some are quite large. It amazes me that there are so many "quiet" areas of the brain - we really dont use the majority of it! I was too stunned and hysterical at my last appointment to ask my neurologist anything about the brain lesions being close to "active" areas of my brain so I will definitely ask at my next appointment. For now I will be starting a drug called Rebif to slow down the progression of the disease. Yeah joy fun now I get to give myself injections three times a week, may have flu-like symptom side effects and I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to ever have alcohol again because of problems it can cause to liver function. I'm not a boozer by any stretch of the imagination (any more) but I dont see myself giving up alcohol for the rest of my life. There are also lots of other things I'm not supposed to do/eat/etc and I'm sure I'll blog about it as I learn more. I'm still going through the range of emotions and have recently just been in denial and trying not to think about it. I start the meds on Thursday so no more denial, time to face it head on. I hope that the meds slow down the progression of the disease so I dont have any more symptoms, that the side effects from the meds are very mild, and that this disease does not alter my life completely. In an ideal world I want this disease to cause me a minor inconvenience 3x a week when I have to do the shots.
I guess that's all for now. Please forgive me if my blogs are few and far between for awhile as I learn to cope and adjust to everything.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi Sweetie, love of my life. I go thru this with you, by your side or "watching your back", whatever you need. My "people" are my support group and offer their best wishes and prayers for you. I hope this gives you strengh and fortitude to fight. Yes, I continue to read your blog, as well as Facebook. I am so far away and still want to know about your life.
Okay, I was gonna post that no one reads this...but your mom beat me to a comment. Blog away girl!
Hey there,
I'm reading. I have been thinking of you often and how you are dealing with the MS diagnosis. You have a great family and I am sure you are surrounded by the people who love you and will help you through your most trying times. Good luck with the start of the medicine- my co-worker says it makes all the difference.
Lorraine
I read your blog periodically and had no idea about your diagnosis. I hope you adjust well to the medicine and am interested about what you learn regarding the lesions near the active parts of your brain. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Post a Comment