Saturday, November 15, 2008

Living in the South spoiled me

I'm a Northern girl through and through, or at least I thought I was. Granted, I complained enough while I lived in Jacksonville about how slow people moved (like they had no sense of urgency) and I never really got into Southern food (except for grits - with butter and cheese, yummy).
Now that I'm back up North I've come to realize that besides missing the weather I also miss people having manners. People are so rude here in Cleveland! Almost no one holds doors for other people even if they are literally 5 steps behind them, and when I do hold a door for someone they don't even thank me. That kind of stuff never happened in Jax! As for driving, I'm glad that people drive with more urgency up here but sometimes its to the point that you would think there was a fire somewhere. Anyone who has ever ridden in the car with me knows that I'm a crazy and fast driver but these people even scare me.
My final complaint is about the grocery store - Giant Eagle. They are severely lacking in customer service. 75% of the time we have to bag our groceries ourselves! What the heck is that?!?!?! I miss my beloved Publix where we never had to bag things ourselves and the employees were actually helpful. Its really sad when I'm actually thinking of boycotting Giant Eagle and doing all my shopping at (gasp) Super Walmart!
Ok, enough complaining for one day :)

1 comment:

vborek@aol.com said...

So another complaint registered. Im thinking you haven't given yourself time enough to adjust.
After so many years in the south with the "rednecks" (that you complained about so much) I knew there would be a culture shock. Have faith and hang in there. You will readjust, (probably just in time for you to move again) :(