Sunday, October 18, 2009

And baby makes 4...

STOP right there!!! I'm NOT pregnant, LOL. I do however have babies on the brain.

It seems like alot of my friends either already have 2 kids or have #2 on the way. It's pretty natural for parents to want a sibling for their first child. Josh is almost 2 years 8 months old and it seems like everyone has been asking me about having another one for 2 years and 7 months :) I don't know if Josh would do well with a brother or sister. When I ask him if he wants one of course he says "yes". I'm sure Grandma, Grandpa, Nana & Papa would LOVE another little one running around. Heck, the Bukowski's haven't had a little girl born into the family in decades! To be honest, I go back and forth about wanting another child. As for Scott, I don't think he wants another baby (much less another toddler). Josh has been VERY difficult lately and from what everyone keeps telling me he'll progress quickly from the "terrible twos" to the "trying threes". The memories of the colicky infant with reflux are still fairly fresh in our minds. Neither of us can imagine going through all of that again, especially if we have to deal with it while contending with a needy, rambunctious Josh.

There are a couple other reasons why we're not getting pregnant right now:
#1 - My MS medication. Rebif is a pretty harsh drug and on top of the not-so-pleasant side effects for me it can also cause problems with spontaneous abortion and possibly birth defects. From what I've read they recommend that I stop taking the medication for a few months before we even start trying to get pregnant.
#2 - The cost of daycare. We take Josh to full-time daycare at Kindercare here in Cranberry Twp and spend roughly $1,000 a month. I'm not sure how much it is for an infant but I'm 100% certain that it's more expensive than for a toddler. The thought of spending $2,000-$2,500 a month just for daycare makes my stomach turn and I am NOT cut out to be a stay at home mom. Scott doesn't make enough (yet) for us to be a single-income family but even if he did I WANT to work. I didn't go to school for 6 years and get my MBA just so I could sit home.
#3 - Space! We like the house we're renting right now and plan on staying here for awhile (hopefully our next move will be back to FL). Problem is that it is a 3 bedroom house which is perfect for us now but not workable if we had another baby. We need the third bedroom for our guest room/office. Scott uses the office every single day and we need the guest bed for when our parents come to visit.

As I said, I waver back and forth on the issue of having another child. Right now I'm firmly planted on the side of "no more kids" but it will surely change. We took down Josh's crib earlier today and stored it away in the basement. Everyone says that as soon as you get rid of all the saved baby stuff you get pregnant and I just don't want to take that chance!!!

1 comment:

vborek@aol.com said...

I realize you think you have to justify to everyone why you arent having more children right now, but I for one stand by your decision. Only you and Scott know what is right for you. Im thinking you will be ready in a couple of years (I hope), and maybe by then you will have more family around to help. Whether it be here or south. Stay well and happy.