The second movie in the Twilight Saga, "New Moon", came out last Thursday night/Friday morning at 12:01am and as a true "TwiHard" I of course bought advance-sale tickets and went to see it (with my friends Jen and Julie). Actually we went for a double feature and went to see "Twilight" at 9pm since none of us had seen it in the movie theater previously. It was a loooooong night but well worth it! "New Moon" was SO GOOD, so much better than "Twilight", mainly because it stuck closer to the book.
It's rare that I actually get to go to the theater to see a movie so when I do watch a movie its usually at home and I'm able to watch the movie more than once. As long as a movie doesn't totally suck I'll watch it twice, to make sure I caught all of the story, etc. If I REALLY like a movie I'll watch it more than twice!
I've been waiting for "New Moon" to come out since I got hooked on the saga back in April and seeing it in the theater only allowed me to watch it once. Sooooo... Jen and I went and saw it again last night, this time at 9:10pm (a much more reasonable hour). Let me say that it was EVEN BETTER the second time! I knew what to expect and was able to sit back and take it all in and look for things I may have missed on Thursday night.
Now I'm no movie critic but here are my thoughts, good and bad, on "New Moon":
* * * SPOILER ALERT * * *
1. The cinematography was much better than in "Twilight" - the colors were much brighter. The other director (Catherine Hardwick) used some kind of filter that Chris Weitz did not and it made a huge difference.
2. The editing of the movie left much to be desired - there were very visible jumps during a scene where something was cut out and parts of scenes that were shown in the trailers were left out. The movie was only 2 hours 10 minutes long... I'm sure I'm not the only one that would've been okay if they left more in and made the movie a little bit longer. Hell, I sat through "Titanic" and that monstrosity was like 3 hours long!!!
3. The Cullens were creepier - skin was whiter and eyes were more "liquid gold". There were a couple scenes though where the makeup wasnt done so well and you could clearly see it on Edward's face.
4. The CGI for the wolves was outstanding! Not overdone and they matched how they were described in the book. Scary when they needed to be with more "human" type eyes to show emotion.
5. The Volturi were almost perfect - Aro and Marcus were dead on but I thought the actor who played Caius was too young for the role. Dakota Fanning did great as Jane - truly creepy.
6. Kudos to them for capturing Bella's heartache after Edward leaves her - I think it was well written, directed and acted.
7. I didn't like the scene at the movie theater between Jacob and Mike - it seemed to forced and contrived and didnt match anything in the book. I think they couldn've found a better way to lead into Jacob starting his transformation.
8. The scene in Volterra where Heidi is leading the unsuspecting humans to be slaughtered by the Volturi was incredibly disturbing for me. It haunted me when I read the book and in the movie there were children in the crowd of humans and that rocked me to my core. I think they could've left that out of the movie, just my opinion. When I saw the movie for the second time I closed my eyes and covered my ears until the scene was over. I'll do the same every time I watch the movie. The thought of anything bad happening to kids makes my stomach turn and makes me want to bawl my eyes out.
9. The ending was great! It definitely leaves you wanting for more and asking "is it June yet"? (That's when "Eclipse" comes out).
I'm still "Team Edward" and always will be. 'Nuff said!!!
1 comment:
I also saw it opening night. I have only been once - loved it and I re-read New Moon on Wednesday to see how close they stayed to the book. I also like how the color of the movie was different. In an interview Robert Pattinson was asked about the differences between Twilight and this movie and that was one of the things that he said. They all seem to like making this movie better and they all seem excited for Eclipse. They say it has a darker side to it - but that makes sense because of all the fighting and stuff in that book.
I am rambling..LOL
I am Team Edward all the way, as well. I do like the parts of the book with Jacob, but I just love Bella and Edward together.
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the way it ended and how it sets up Eclipse.
Taylor Lautner looked awesome in the movie - and it is just wrong that he is only 17. Nobody looked like that when we were 17!! LOL
June 30th - can't wait
Lorraine
Post a Comment