- When we arrived at the house in Pittsburgh we found that the driveway was the equivalent of an ice-skating rink... who knows the last time the previous tenant shoveled! Luckily no one fell and injured themselves and all the furniture made it in the house with very little damage (just some scratches on Josh's crib).
- The second trip on Monday took way longer than I could have imagined. We left Pittsburgh at 7:30am and did not pull back in until 11pm! Scott asked for me to hire more moving help but I refused and regretted it once we were at the old house and loading the truck by ourselves.
- Scott's Volkswagon did not fit on the car transport - the wheel base was too narrow. I should have known better since that year, make & model was not an option on Budget's website for the vehicle to be towed. So, with all kinds of stuff packed in it, we had to leave the VW in the garage in Cleveland. (Scott and his dad went back yesterday to get it and he was able to drive it here to Pittsburgh, with expired FL plates and no heat, and it made it fine).
- Even though we weren't going to tow the VW we still had to deal with the car transport. We hooked it up to the truck but must have done it wrong because once Scott pulled onto the road it starting fishtailing. Scott stopped and the damn thing slid underneath the Budget truck, breaking the crank mechanism on the transport. Luckily this happened on our old street in front of a guy that knew a thing or two about hitches and he was able to help us get it attached correctly to the truck. After a phone call to Budget we drove to the Cleveland location and dropped it off. Thank God Scott got the insurance on this rental - we didn't have to pay anything for the damage.
- Along with not shoveling, the previous tenant also didn't clean the house so we had to have maids come out to clean the kitchen and bathrooms and carpet cleaners to do the rugs (all paid for by our landlords). I'm glad they came but what a pain to have to work around them for 2 days.
- It took the DirecTV guy hours to hook up the satellite and 3 receivers and after all that wasn't able to get us the local channels. I had to call customer service and after almost an hour of trying different things they were able to fix it.
- It took the phone/cable internet guy 3 hours to hook those utilities up. There is only one jack in the guest room/office and that was already hooked up to DirecTV so we decided to run a line from Josh's room since he won't need tv or internet in there. After testing the lines and doing God-knows-what in the attic the tech said that the line was bad to that room. Ugh! We needed the internet more than the tv in the office so we had him disconnect the DirecTV connection to the room. Sorry Dad, no tv in the guest room :(
- The weather did not cooperate and we had a nasty ice storm come through mid-week. Scott kept telling me my tires were worn down but I didn't want to believe it - the car doesn't even have 40,000 miles yet! Well, I became a believer on Wednesday when we tried to take Josh to daycare and my tires kept spinning and we could barely make it up hills (we live on a sloping street) and Scott had to get out of the car and push from behind a couple of times. We went to Costco on Friday and got me 4 new Michelin tires and I could tell the difference immediately.
Well, that's all I can, or want, to remember for now. We really like this house and feel that it is much more "us" than the last place. I'll post pictures once I have more stuff unpacked and organized. So far the only thing I don't like is the shower in the master bathroom - its very cramped, the water pressure sucks and the dial is very tempermental when it comes to temperature. I'm hoping my dad can switch out the head for us when they come back to visit and we'll see if that makes me happier.
No comments:
Post a Comment