Monday, April 20, 2009

The grass is not always greener

I didn't necessarily think that I would find a BETTER company when I left PSS...

I think my exact words were "I can find another job" when Scott and I were planning on moving so that he could take a sales territory with PSS. I really only had experience with one other company from a professional standpoint (ITT) and it wasn't all that bad. So while I knew that the corporate culture at PSS was outstanding, and that they did a lot for their employees, I kind of assumed that there were other companies out there that did similar types of things...

BOY WAS I WRONG!

I've been working at my "temp" position at Michael Baker Corp for 2 months now so I've gotten to see first-hand their culture. All I have to say is WOW... not even in the same ballpark as PSS.

I had my second interview with EDMC today for a Senior Financial Analyst position and asked the AVP and VP of Finance about what the company does to foster a team atmosphere and encourage camaraderie and generally have fun... again, WOW! One of the answers I got was about how the CEO holds quarterly Q&A conference calls with the employees - how that constitutes fun I don't know. The only bright spot in what I was told was that they are all going to an amusement park in June for the day - okay, I'll give them that, it does sound like fun - for ONE DAY. I asked the lady who would be my boss the same question during my first round of interviews and her response was "We made a team CD and each person was able to put a song on it" - are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know I'm not the most exciting and fun person in the world but COME ON!!!

But, the fact of the matter is that I need to work and right now these are my only 2 options. I've applied for the perm position at Baker and will talk to my boss this week about it. I'm leaning more in that direction because I feel it will be more conducive to my personal life and my desire to spend time with Scott & Josh. The position at EDMC seems like a great fit for my skills, a blend of technical and business analysis, but it also requires a fair amount of overtime on top of the hour commute to and from downtown along with the crappy parking situation.

So, all of this has made me miss PSS more and more every day, today especially. I didn't think the grass would be greener when I gave up my position but I also didn't think that I'd be landing in a pile of dirt either!

No comments: