Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bait and switch

Car salesmen have a bad reputation for a reason but I never believed that a whole dealership could be filled with sheisters! We are in the market to trade in my Camry and get an SUV, either a Toyota Highlander or a Honda Pilot. I spend a little bit of time each day searching dealer websites, autotrader.com and cars.com for new and used ones that may fall within our price range. I print out the listings and Scott & I look at them at home in the evenings.

In the beginning I found a couple viable choices and was actually able to go and test drive both vehicles to see which one I liked (I liked both of them equally). The Highlander had lots of bells and whistles that I necessarily didn't want, and was priced high because of them, so I held off. The Pilot had high miles but it ended up selling the evening after I drove it. I found a Highlander online that looked like it may be "the one" but the dealership is about an hour away so I called them first and was told that it had sold. Before we do anything Scott needs test drive them and I sent him to a dealership this afternoon to drive a Pilot that I found online. When he got there they told him that it had sold THIS MORNING.

I'm was sitting here thinking "wow, I have really good taste in vehicles because they're flying off the lots" but now I'm thinking we're the victims of a bait and switch scheme. And I'm talking about multiple dealerships all across the greater Pittsburgh area. I found two more possibilities this afternoon and we called them this evening... surprise surprise the dealership says that they're both gone. Seriously, why don't these places update their inventory online? I'm guessing because they want to lure you in with a posting for a great vehicle that they don't have anymore so they can try to convince you to buy a 2010 model for more money. JERKS!

No comments: