When we lived in Jacksonville the only team we had to root for were the Jaguars. We never paid much attention to college sports so we could care less about the Gators/Noles drama. Rooting for the Jags was easy and didn't make either Scott nor I cringe, they were pretty harmless, didn't pose much of a threat to either the Bills or Patriots so we felt good about cheering them on. Even when we moved to Cleveland we were okay with cheering for the Browns - I mean they REALLY sucked so we never felt guilty about hoping they would win a game or two.
But now we live in Pittsburgh, home of the most obnoxious fans in the country (okay, maybe they tie with Oakland Raiders fans). The Pittsburgh Steelers - UGH! That is now our "hometown" football team and there is no way that we can bring ourselves to cheer for them. We moved here the weekend before the Superbowl so we arrived just in time for the height of the insanity. Lucky us. I'm not embarassed to say that we turned the game off well before it was over and went to bed not caring who won.
Tonight is game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals for hockey and the Pittsburgh Penguins are playing well and may actually win this thing. I have to admit that I'm remotely interested in the game for the purely selfish reason that I don't want to be in a city of miserable, bitchy people tomorrow. There were screams of joy that echoed through my neighborhood with the first goal earlier and I couldn't help but smile. I mean, I haven't really rooted for a hockey team since I left Buffalo 8 years ago and was a Sabres fan.
Luckily the Pittsburgh Pirates (baseball) really really suck so we can go to a game and enjoy just watching some MLB baseball without feeling like we're betraying our beloved Boston Red Sox. For the time that we're here in Pittsburgh we will stay under the radar and just give them a fake smile whenever someone enthusiastically talks about the Steelers/Penguins/Pirates.
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment